This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? tech

qptech blog

The companion to qpmarl blog. Here you will find all technical related posts (mostly computer and linux stuff)

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

 

Why Gentoo

There is no shortage of linux distributions to choose from, so why do I prefer Gentoo Linux?

My linux experience started with a RedHat 5 cd that someone gave me. I managed to get it installed on some old PC I had. I was installed, I managed to log in, and sat staring at the command prompt with absolutely no idea what to do next or what this system was capable of. I tried a few DOS commands (I learned to use a computer in the DOS/Win3.x days), realized that this was a totally different animal, and finally figured a few things out. I don't remember exaclty what I got it to do, but I don't think I had any GUI. I did figure out the shutdown command and I didn't wait too long before installing Windows 98 back onto the drive.

A while later, I read the Linux User's Guide, a bunch of other linux documentation on the internet, and bought the Debian GNU/Linux Bible. So I got Debian installed and running on an old pc from the Good Will. I learned a lot with this setup, but didn't have the resources/interrest to push it to the limit - I didn't run any server software, it wasn't networked to anything, dial-up internet only.

Then I tried a bunch of other big-name distros - Redhat, Suse, Slackware, etc. I didn't find one that I really liked and when I would find something I liked in one, it wouldn't be in the others - also the setup/configuration procedures varied quite a bit from one to the other.

One day I stumbled upon the linux-from-scratch webpage and was mystified. I did it. I installed linux on my computer entirely from scratch - everything was compiled from the source code. This means that everything is custom-tailored to my system and needs. I liked the idea and eventually had a nice GUI and everything. But without a nice package management system, installing and updating sofware was a bit of a pain - broken dependencies and all.

Then I found Gentoo - Gentoo compiles everything from source just like LFS and it has a very nice package management system that installs new software from source and updates existing software. It was amazing. It takes a bit longer to install stuff because it has to be compiled from the source, but I wouldn't have it any other way. It also supports Athlon64, so when I built my Athlon64 system, I compiled everything from source to 64-bit code. My operating system runs natively at 64 bit, which Windows XP is unable to do. Up to now, I've been dual-booting linux and Windows XP in the same box, but the Athlon64 is a pure linux box. I only use Windows junk when I'm working on someone else's computer.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home