This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? tech

qptech blog

The companion to qpmarl blog. Here you will find all technical related posts (mostly computer and linux stuff)

Saturday, July 23, 2005

 

Reading ReiserFS in Windows

I left my PC in MN, but I did bring one of the harddrives to WA. It has lots of entertaining data on it, but there is a problem. The harddrive is formatted with a reiserFS file system which I use for most of my linux partitions - it has a number of advantages over most conventional filesystems.

MS Windows takes one look at the rieserFS partition and says "I don't know what that is - it's greek to me." (Windows only recognizes 2 types of filesystems - FAT32/16 and NTFS - both designed by Microsoft - big surprise there -- They have never shown any effort to support any other type of filesystem)

I found some software called rfstool to allow you to copy stuff from a reiserfs partition in windows. It pretty much just lets you list the contents and copy files one by one (also directories recursively). You can't access a file directly from reiserfs - it would be nice, but I haven't found a tool to do that yet.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home