This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? tech

qptech blog

The companion to qpmarl blog. Here you will find all technical related posts (mostly computer and linux stuff)

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

 

Some new (to me) linux distros

I've been looking at a few linux distributions that I'd like to try out. I really like Gentoo for my primary desktop installation, and KNOPPIX is really great - I can't wait to try out the Knoppix 4.0 DVD when it's finally available for download.

However, I've been reading about a few other distro's that look like they could be pretty usefull.

DSL - Damn Small Linux: It's another liveCD linux with a few advantages over knoppix for some uses - it's smaller, can fit on a USB flash drive, it's easier to customize, etc.

Puppy Linux - It's a lot like DSL. It's supposed to offer a lot of software in a very small space (under 64Mb)

GeeXboX - This is a very small liveCD designed for the sole purpose of media playback (Divx,etc).

Underground Desktop - This is a Desktop distribution based on Debian, but with a nice graphical installer - may be good for the curious newcomer to unix/linux.

I haven't used any of these distros yet, but I'm downloading them to try out. I'll post my reviews of each as I use them.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home