This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? tech

qptech blog

The companion to qpmarl blog. Here you will find all technical related posts (mostly computer and linux stuff)

Sunday, January 30, 2005

 

ftp server

I setup an ftp server on my linux machine today. It was easy. I wanted to be able to transfer files from Tim's Windows box to my Linux box, but it's a pain to try to connect to a windows SMB network using linux - it is possible, but not easy. SMB is not a standardized protocol, it changes with every version and update to windows and is pretty poorly designed in the first place.

With the ftp server running on my linux machine, I can use any ftp client on the network to connect to the machine, log in with my user account and access my home directory - read and write access. I can setup anonymous login and all kinds of other neat stuff.

I am only running it to allow transfers on my local network, not through the internet, so my router blocks ftp connections.

I may set it up for public access in the near future though.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home