This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? tech

qptech blog

The companion to qpmarl blog. Here you will find all technical related posts (mostly computer and linux stuff)

Friday, August 13, 2004

 

KNOPPIX

This is one of the best linux live CD's I've ever seen - In fact, I'm using it to post this right now.

A live CD is a cd-rom which contains a complete operating system and other software. It runs from the CD and doesn't require a harddrive. It's nice because you can get a familiar environment on any computer anywhere.

KNOPPIX runs well on every computer I've ever tried it on. It detects all the important hardware (video card, ethernet, etc). Connects the the internet using DHCP if you have an ethernet connected Cable modem, DSL modem, or any other broadband connection on a network using DHCP.

I haven't tried printing from KNOPPIX, but I believe that it will detect and use most printers.

It has a lot of software (about 1700 Mb compressed to fit onto a single CD-Rom). There's the web browser Mozilla, the Desktop Publisher Scribus (can make PDF's), The GIMP (kinda like Photoshop). It uses the KDE desktop environment (with lots of eye candy - truely transparent menus and mouse cursor). I'm using version 3.3 which is kinda old (3.4 is available now), but it's very stable and capable of everything I need it to do (uh, browse the web... I don't need a computer, why don't I just get a web enabled cell phone or something - oh yeah, it takes forever to type on those little numerical pads - not good for blog posting)

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home