This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? tech

qptech blog

The companion to qpmarl blog. Here you will find all technical related posts (mostly computer and linux stuff)

Monday, October 09, 2006

 

Kfw Efjbyaps Iajylg.... New Keyboard Layout (Brand-Spankin' New)

Why use a keyboard layout other than good, old QWERTY?

Because, QWERTY sucks.

the Colemak layout is designed to reduce repetitive strain and fatigue and to allow faster typing speeds by making the most used keys the most accessible. It's supposed to be a bit better than the Dvorak layout - follow the link to read more. It also remaps the capslock key to backspace so you don't have to reach so far for it (the backspace key is backspace too).

I've started learning it (I'm typing this with Colemak), but I'm still pretty slow with it. I've set up my laptop to use it by default, so I expect to learn it pretty fast.

No, you don't need to get a new keyboard, just install the keymap - available for all the popular operating systems. I'm going to switch the keys around on my laptop to match the keymap.


Colemak is in the running for the CAPSoff Million Dollar Keyboard competition - they basically want to do away with the capslock key. Most of the submissions are just variations of the standard QWERTY keyboard with the capslock key replaced by some other commonly used key (like cntrl).

And here's a cool keyboard that uses little LCD's inside the keys for custom layouts and games and stuff. I don't think it's available yet, but it looks pretty cool.

Comments:
Do you know that QWERTY was invented to slow typists down and prevent mechanical typewriters from jamming?

We still use QWERTY because that's what typists know. I predict a long hard road for alternate keyboard layouts. People will stick to what they know, even if it is less efficient.
 
Yeah, I knew that about QWERTY - they talk a bit about it on the Colemak site.

QWERTY probably won't ever be supplanted by any alternative keymap anytime soon, but that doesn't mean that you have to use it - Dvorak is fairly common ('specially amoung geeks) and it's what's used to achieve world record typing speeds.

According to the Colemak FAQ, learning a new layout doesn't cause you to forget the old one. I guess it's like languages - learning Spanish doesn't cause you to forget English.
 
Oh yeah, I was thinking of learning Dvorak for a while before discovering Colemak.

But Dvorak predates modern computers and typing demands. And it has it's own problems.
 
It's awesome to see a fellow Colemak typist. Since you haven't updated in awhile, what is your typing speed looking like? I'm able to sustain 60wpm only after a month. It's still less than my QWERTY and Dvorak speeds, but I used both longer than Colemak.

Also, I think you should check this out. It's the Java comparison applet that's on the Colemak website. I just used a bunch of Wikipedia articles. It clearly shows the evils of QWERTY.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home