This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? tech

qptech blog

The companion to qpmarl blog. Here you will find all technical related posts (mostly computer and linux stuff)

Saturday, September 09, 2006

 

AMD64 reincarnated

My amd64 box, suzie, has been raised from it's ashes - actually, there was never anything wrong with it, I just stopped using it and took the HD's out to use in my external enclosure. One of the HD's crashed and I'm using this as the primary master in the new setup. I reformatted it and it seems to be working fine. I did get some I/O errors when running resize_reiserfs on the root partition - but that was before I had anything installed on it. Other than that, I've had no I/O errors so far.

I'm running linux - native 64 bit binaries of course, with 32 bit "emulation" support. The 32 bit capabilities are nice because some software (Openoffice for instance) won't compile to 64 bit.

I'm running xfce4 for the desktop environment (my laptop, kate, is using fluxbox) - no I can't stand all those all-in-one-trying-to-be-the-ms-windows-environment-but-better desktop environments (all two of them that is)

I'm planning to do an mencoder speed test - suzie vs. kate with the same video. It's not very objective - kate's a 32 bit P4 laptop, suzie's a 64 bit Athlon desktop - suzie is a year older - suzie has 1Gb ram, kate has 768Mb ram. I'm betting that suzie's faster.

I'll publish the results here when I'm done.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home