This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? tech

qptech blog

The companion to qpmarl blog. Here you will find all technical related posts (mostly computer and linux stuff)

Friday, March 17, 2006

 

I hate Apple too.

Stupid Quicktime. I gotta download their player because some idiots out there post videos only in Quiktime format. That's not a problem. I don't mind letting a few megabytes of storage go to another video player. But the stupid thing tries to take over my computer. You can't just get the Quicktime player anymore. You gotta get the iTunes client which includes the Quicktime player. I don't want iTunes. I don't plan to ever buy anything from iTunes. I don't have an iPod. I don't want music in their proprietary media format. I don't want the iTunes client. Then the stupid Quicktime plugin sets itself as the default for just about every type of file I might try to view in my web browser - not just videos, not just media files - all sorts of stuff. It wanted to make itself the default player for everything, but fortunately warned me and gave me the option to alter this durring installation. Why does nearly every piece of software do this - assume that you want to use it for every type of file that it could possibly open. I don't want Photoshop (or some other editor) to be the default application for jpeg files when it takes 10 minutes to load while the windows image viewer (which does suck, but it's what I use anyway) usually loads in less than a second and only occationally takes 10 minutes to load (these times are of course exagerated (only slightly)).

Firefox has this neat feature where it can automatically download a file and open it with a real application - hey that's a great idea, why don't we play mp3's in winamp instead of some stupid plugin. I just gotta make it enque the songs instead of playing them immediately.

Comments:
This reminds me of something I have been meaning to ask about for awhile.

I can't download updates to Firefox. The "installing updates" screen comes up, but nothing ever happens. I let it go for over an hour once. Nothing. What's up with that?
 
I don't know. I don't use their update feature. I've always just
downloaded the newest version whenever I figure it's been a while.
They used to not have an automatic update feature - you had to
download the latest version. I'm thinking that it's probably a fairly
new feature and doesn't have all the bugs worked out.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home